A few years ago I planted some yellow squash and it went gang busters in the garden. I made fritters with it, sauted it, roasted it, you name it. But I was at a loss of what else to do with it. So I found this recipe from CaramelPie and altered it to cut down on prep time and make them a little more healthful. And since the, they have been by far one of my favorite summer baked goods.
I just baked up my first batch of the season and they are just as yummy as I remember! Super moist, light and delicately sweet!
- 2 cups baby yellow squash grated
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup melted butter
- 1⁄2 cup applesauce
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 5 teaspoons baking powder
- 1teaspoon salt
- Wash squash, trim ends, and grate.
- Measure 2 cups of the squash, combine with eggs, butter, and applesauce, and set aside.
- Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Make a well in center of mixture.
- Add squash to dry ingredients, stirring only until moist.
- Spoon into greased muffin tins, filling 3/4 full.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 18-20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center of muffin comes out clean.