I’ll be honest, I love me some halloween decorations, but I’m not a fan of the gore. And to find simple halloween decorations, that also don’t lean toward cutesie is hard. So sometimes one must come up with their own and DIY it. I made this haunted house last year and I think I must have spied something similar, but didn’t want to fork over the large sum of money it cost. I have my limits on how much I want to spend on seasonal decor.
While I was at the craft store, I spied some unfinished bird houses and the idea popped in my head to come up with my own low cost version and I quite love it. And it’s super simple…like I would do anything that wasn’t 😉 So without further ado, here is what you need:
- Unfinished wood bird house from local craft store
- Black acrylic paint
- Black glitter
- Paint brush
- Sponge brush
- Clear household glue (like this one)
- Cookie tray with low sides to catch the glitter and lined with wax paper (or any kind of paper to protect your cookie sheet from paint)
- Place the bird house in the cookie sheet and paint it black with the paint brush.
- Once paint is dry, cover the house with clear glue all over with sponge brush.
- Before glue dries, add the black glitter. Voila! You have a sparkly haunted house!